Free Shipping on orders over $99 | FREE 365-DAY RETURNS
Filters Fast Logo Header

#1 Online filtration retailer in the US!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Loud motor noise constantly HELP PLEASE.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loud motor noise constantly HELP PLEASE.

Hiya to all of you

I have had the RO filter around 7 months now and it works ok. Last month it leaked and we never found out exactly why. Now it is making a very loud noise a constant sound like the motor is stuck on. It should usually only do that when we run water and a short time after. We have to switch it off at night as it is behind our bedroom and keeps us awake.

There is nobody in this area with a clue about RO filters, I am in the North East of England, nobody to help us. Could anyone give us some help as to what might be causing this and how we could repair it?

I hope you can advise as we have just got used to having lovely water instead of tasting chemicals and my health is getting better, I have ME. I think my health improved from the better quality water I am worried about the filter failing, we cannot afford to buy a new one it cost us a lot for the one we have. There is no warranty unfortunately.

I will really appreciate it if someone can give us any ideas and instructions please?

lotsa luv
    Dawnx

Details, please. We need to hear more about the product itself. Pictures would be great. But give is the model, make, manufacturer as well as capacity in daily production. Is this a commercial or residential unit?

Andy Christensen, CWS-II

Comment

It sounds as if the automatic shut off valve is chattering.

That can happen no matter what brand, make or model of RO, as long as it has an ASO valve, which most ROs do.

Comment

Hiya
        We have taken a photo of the filter (see under post), to be honest I don't know what make it is The box it came in was pretty plain. The instructions just on a plain piece of white paper without any brand on their either.

Gary, where do we locate this valve and can it be changed?

Thanks for helping

kindest regards
        Dawn

Comment

I think the pump is pressure activated. I am not sure if these are rebuildable, or at least any cheaper than replacing it. There should be a manufacturer's name on it. It could be the transformer if the power stays on all the time. I don't know of any separate pressure switches.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II

Comment

Originally posted by Andy CWS
            I think the pump is pressure activated. I am not sure if these are rebuildable, or at least any cheaper than replacing it. There should be a manufacturer's name on it. It could be the transformer if the power stays on all the time. I don't know of any separate pressure switches.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II
            Andy Andy Andy... You think it is pressure activated, yet don't think there is a "separate" pressure switch!! What are you trying to say, that you assume there is an internal pressure switch in the pump?

I think I see a "separate" pressure switch in the back of the picture by looking between the right end of the pump motor and the left end of the power supply transformer. There is something back there with wires on it The switch will have wires to/from it and the pump motor. There is a water line that looks like it is attached to the thing also, so I'll assume the thing is the pump's pressure switch.

If the pump is running constantly then it can not increase the pressure to the cut out setting on the switch, or there is a leak somewhere. Not be able to raise the pressure may mean that the membrane or one or more of the pre or post cartridge filters is needing replacement. Or there is something wrong with the pressure switch like a blockage etc..

There probably is no ASO valve.

Comment

Thanks Gary

Thanks ever so much I will get my hubby another Gary to have a look under and follow your directions to the switch, also better look for some replacement filters and stuff. Hope it fixes it.
              Which would be the cheapest possible part to replace first which could be causing the problem? I am thinking about having to replace the prefilters?

God bless
              Dawnx

Comment

Yes, Not be able to raise the pressure may mean that the membrane or one or more of the pre or post cartridge filters is needing replacement. Or there is something wrong with the pressure switch like a blockage etc..

Comment

Thanks so much for your help I will come back and let you know how we go on and what solves it if anything
                  DAwn

Comment

Just bought these, hope it solves it.

Comment

Hi lads
                      Sorry to bother you again before this is resolved but you see that filter on the right, the one that sits at the top of the filter?
                      The wrench for it used to have around a ten inch circumference (we measured around the outside of the housing), don't know about the diameter. My hubby has lost it, we have the big one but not that.
                      Does anyone know what it is called and where in the UK we could get one? I have looked on Ebay but nothing at all, and nothing much in google except one US site but the shipping over to here makes it expensive and it takes a long long time, and the sizes are so many I don't know what is what. I am getting ratty now as I cannot stand the smell of the chlorine in the water any more.

cheers in advance
                      Dawn
                      Last edited by rscardigno; 09-21-2009, 07:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by stfluffybrain
                        Hi lads
                        Sorry to bother you again before this is resolved but you see that filter on the right, the one that sits at the top of the filter?
                        The wrench for it used to have around a ten inch circumference (we measured around the outside of the housing), don't know about the diameter. My hubby has lost it, we have the big one but not that.
                        Does anyone know what it is called and where in the UK we could get one? I have looked on Ebay but nothing at all, and nothing much in google except one US site but the shipping over to here makes it expensive and it takes a long long time, and the sizes are so many I don't know what is what. I am getting ratty now as I cannot stand the smell of the chlorine in the water any more.

cheers in advance
                        Dawn
                        Dawn,
                        That looks like the post-filter. Usually the tubes attach to it in one of two ways, either push-in or compression fittings. If the former no wrench is needed. You just push and hold the little collar in and pull the tube out. To reattach, push the tube in (it should go in about 1/2 to 3/4 inch) and then pull hard on it. If it's a compression fitting an ordinary adjustable wrench (spanner?) will do. If you were to post a clear photo of the ends of the filter I could tell you which it is.
                        Ed

Comment

She was asking about a housing wrench to be able to replace the filter cartridge; hubby lost it.

Comment

Oh blimey
                            Yes we got one of those, and replaced filters, it worked ok again for a couple of weeks but now the power has stopped entirely.
                            May have to get a fuse or something for inside, but we don't know where to get one from, otherwise it must be a new motor ?
                            luv Dawnx

Comment

Working...
                            X