Free Shipping on orders over $99 | FREE 365-DAY RETURNS
Filters Fast Logo Header

#1 Online filtration retailer in the US!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kinetico DWS Plus VX 02 w/black tank - leaking at top

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kinetico DWS Plus VX 02 w/black tank - leaking at top

My VX holding tank leaks very slowly from where the top plastic piece connects to the tank. During a service call, the technician looked for about a minute and said the tank is cracked and would be about $400 to replace. The sales guy he brought with him offered to sell me a new system. Trying to decide whether to:
    a) try to repair my tank with caulk (I am not able to see any cracks but it looks like a leak between the cover and the tank)
    b) have the tank replaced at $400
    c) buy the new system for about $1,200 - $1,400.

Any advice or guidance?
    Steve
    Indianapolis
    Kinetico Drinking Water System Plus VX 02

I'd put money on the tank being fine. The tank module on top is more than likely leaking and needs to be replaced. I've been wrong before. I'd have to defer to a techs opinion who was actually there. You will want to hesitate before using "well, this guy on the internet said" when dealing with your tech. But, I've repaired many of them and the module is to blame 99.9999999% of the time. There are 2 halves to the module that seal viz screws and o-ring seals. Sometimes...not often...but, sometimes the seals fail and water will leak out between the 2 halves. As that part is also responsible for most of the the service issues on that unit, replacing it will also go a long way toward getting more time out of it before the next service issue. Or, put the repair money into upgrading to the new K5. It's a much better unit...but, comes with an up front cost. Granted, you get a new 10 year warranty with it and more flexibility with cartridge options...and better flow...but, there is still some up front money to get into it. Hope that helps. If you see a caulk gun...throw them out of your house.

Originally posted by Steve Vinson View Post
    My VX holding tank leaks very slowly from where the top plastic piece connects to the tank. During a service call, the technician looked for about a minute and said the tank is cracked and would be about $400 to replace. The sales guy he brought with him offered to sell me a new system. Trying to decide whether to:
    a) try to repair my tank with caulk (I am not able to see any cracks but it looks like a leak between the cover and the tank)
    b) have the tank replaced at $400
    c) buy the new system for about $1,200 - $1,400.

Any advice or guidance?

Comment

Working...
    X