Free Shipping on orders over $99 | FREE 365-DAY RETURNS
Filters Fast Logo Header

#1 Online filtration retailer in the US!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need to raise PH

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Need to raise PH

    I am on a well. I've through this before on a previous house. The acidity in the water eats the copper pipes over time and I get pinholes in the pipes. My previous house was a simple small1 story house so I just replaced all the copper with cpvc myself. This house is a whole different ball game. 3 story (including basement) log home. Interior walls are all wood except in the basement. So replacing pipes would be much more difficult. So I'm looking to add a whole house filtration system to raise the ph and hopefully stop this from happening from now on. Just had the 1st pinhole yesterday. Fixed it this morning with shark bite fitting. Can someone steer my in the right direction as far as what filtration system I can add myself? Or is this not even possible?

    Thanks,
    Kory

  • #2
    You'll need either an acid neutralizer (calcite filtration) or an injection system. Caustic soda or soda ash depending on raw PH. On a residential application, an acid neutralizer is the better option. Less maintenance. But, you'll want to follow it up with a softener because it's going to raise your hardness by about 5 grains or so. So, even if you go in completely soft (a very rare thing, indeed) you're coming out hard. Hope that helps. I wouldn't tackle it myself unless you really knew what you were doing. Some things are worth hiring a professional for.

    Comment


    • #3
      Thanks, I was beginning to wonder if I'd get a response. I'm certainly no expert but I was thinking since I replaced all the pipe in my old house myself this wouldn't be too hard. Can you describe to me how to do it, or direct to where I can find information on how to do it? If I were to hire someone, what would I expect to pay approximately? Money is tight.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Kory Fox View Post
        Thanks, I was beginning to wonder if I'd get a response. I'm certainly no expert but I was thinking since I replaced all the pipe in my old house myself this wouldn't be too hard. Can you describe to me how to do it, or direct to where I can find information on how to do it? If I were to hire someone, what would I expect to pay approximately? Money is tight.
        First, you need to have your water tested to see what exactly you're dealing with so you know how exactly to treat it. The basic stuff is hardness, PH, iron, TDS. I would also get tested for bacteria (e-coli and coliform) and nitrates. With all of that knowledge you can begin to make treatment decisions.

        Comment


        • #5
          Can I do the tests myself?

          Comment


          • #6
            Some, yes. Some, no. But, that's only the start of the process. Knowing what to do with the information is the next step. Knowing which equipment will do the best job and cover your issues is the next one. Knowing what you can afford comes into play at that point. etc, etc. It's a process. If you are willing to do it yourself and take on the liability that comes with (warranty issues, etc) it, then by all means proceed. But, I think you'll find that at some point getting some face time with a local professional will be advantageous for you.

            Comment

            Working...
            X