Hi. A year ago we had a new twin-resin-tank water softener installed. Water is VERY hard without it. At the time, I insisted they put in a pair of POE filters with it - a sediment and carbon filter. But I was too busy to discuss options with them. What we got appears to be (no markings) two standard 3/4" Pentek/Amatek housings that are black with red PR buttons, and clear screw-on cannisters for the 10" x 2.5" filters. The string filter filter fills with "orange jello", and the white smooth poly-wrapped carbon filter plugs with fine rust sediment.
We also already have the excellently-rated e-Spring UV/carbon electronic filter under cabinet. One reason I insisted on the filters was because sediment plugged up the previous resin bed, and another is because this $120 UV filter would previously plug up with rust sediment in 4 months instead of lasting a year. With the POE filter arrangement I've managed to get it to last a year by rinsing the filter off every couple of months when the water slows to a .25 gpm trickle.
The current POE filters are a string-wound polypro sediment rated 5 microns (at $5, or 10 micron for $3 depending on purchase), which lasts about 4 weeks in our 4-person family, and a multi-purpose carbon filter that is a non-label bulk purchase item from our local drinking-water distributor. This carbon filter lasts about 8 weeks, and by 10 weeks the pressure-drop is so high that max flow drops into the 1.5-3.0 gpm range. We're told that in other areas this carbon filter lasts 4-6 months when a sediment pre-filter is used. The filter price started out at about $14, went to $16, and last week I was informed that it's now $25. They tried to switch to a different filter several months ago, a KX Matrikx Pb1 model 06-250-125-975, but got a lot of complaints: in our subdivision it would last us no more than 2 days before flow dropped below 1 gpm.
My sense is that after looking over the local retailers, they've decided they have a captive customer market and can freely gouge us.
Time to find another filter & supplier.
I'm looking for economical sediment reduction to make sure my $120 drinking filter lasts a year, and prefer some carbon to knock down the chlorine/chemical levels. So with that history, I've got a two questions:
1) Assuming I don't change filter housings, what combination would you recommend?
2) If I re-do the PVC piping arrangement, it would be easy to install a pair of 20" filter housings (want see-through, prefer same diameter for broader filter options & pricing, but could go larger dia.), and if I bought additional brackets, I could even use one or two of the current filter housings as pre/post/intermediate filters. Given this second scenario, but the same target goals, what would you recommend?
We also already have the excellently-rated e-Spring UV/carbon electronic filter under cabinet. One reason I insisted on the filters was because sediment plugged up the previous resin bed, and another is because this $120 UV filter would previously plug up with rust sediment in 4 months instead of lasting a year. With the POE filter arrangement I've managed to get it to last a year by rinsing the filter off every couple of months when the water slows to a .25 gpm trickle.
The current POE filters are a string-wound polypro sediment rated 5 microns (at $5, or 10 micron for $3 depending on purchase), which lasts about 4 weeks in our 4-person family, and a multi-purpose carbon filter that is a non-label bulk purchase item from our local drinking-water distributor. This carbon filter lasts about 8 weeks, and by 10 weeks the pressure-drop is so high that max flow drops into the 1.5-3.0 gpm range. We're told that in other areas this carbon filter lasts 4-6 months when a sediment pre-filter is used. The filter price started out at about $14, went to $16, and last week I was informed that it's now $25. They tried to switch to a different filter several months ago, a KX Matrikx Pb1 model 06-250-125-975, but got a lot of complaints: in our subdivision it would last us no more than 2 days before flow dropped below 1 gpm.
My sense is that after looking over the local retailers, they've decided they have a captive customer market and can freely gouge us.
Time to find another filter & supplier. I'm looking for economical sediment reduction to make sure my $120 drinking filter lasts a year, and prefer some carbon to knock down the chlorine/chemical levels. So with that history, I've got a two questions:
1) Assuming I don't change filter housings, what combination would you recommend?
2) If I re-do the PVC piping arrangement, it would be easy to install a pair of 20" filter housings (want see-through, prefer same diameter for broader filter options & pricing, but could go larger dia.), and if I bought additional brackets, I could even use one or two of the current filter housings as pre/post/intermediate filters. Given this second scenario, but the same target goals, what would you recommend?









Comment